OMVNA logo

Home
About OMVNA
Emergency Preparedness
Newsletter
OMVNAtalk E-mail list
Coming Events
Meeting Minutes
Steering Committee
Heritage Homes
Links
Advertisers

Old Mountain View Neighborhood Association

Monthly Steering Committee Minutes for 2003

 


OMVNA Steering Committee Meeting
December 8, 2003

Officers Attending

Chair - Ronit Bryant
Treasurer - Aaron Grossman
Newsletter - Velva Rowell
Downtown Committee Rep - Tom Matula
Secretary - Claire Silver
Member-at-Large - Erin Sanders

Officers Not Present

Member-at-Large - Ken Rosenberg

Visiting Neighbors

Mark Gerrior
Julie Lovins

1. Introductions and Announcements

  • CERT: portable toilets still available
  • Downtown precise plan meeting has been scheduled and posted on web site. Next meeting is on Nov 3rd.
  • OMVNA received city grant for neighborhood signs
  • Renewal due for United Neighborhoods of Santa Clara County. Motion passed to renew.

2. Approval of Minutes

  • Approved with amendments.

3. Steering Committee Vacancy

  • David Andrzejek has resigned due to traveling conflicts. Tom was nominated and elected to the Member-at-Large position. Julie advised Tom to contact City Hall departments to inform them of his new position.

4. Newsletter Publication Schedule

DeadlinePublication Date
1/8/041/15/04
3/4/043/11/04
4/22/044/29/04
5/27/046/3/04
7/22/047/29/04
9/9/049/16/04
10/14/0410/21/04
11/24/0412/2/04
  • General Meeting must be held 10/16 or 10/17 for local election debate.
  • Publication day is now Thursday (not Friday).
  • Aaron will contact advertisers for renewals at same rates.
  • Velva and Tom to discuss a recurring column regarding downtown committee meetings.
  • Next newsletter will have an article introducing Tom.

5. Treasurer’s Report

  • Total is 5034.57 (141.44 CERT).
  • Aaron has four extra CERT kits already prepared

6. St Joseph’s Plan Update

  • Monica spoke with Terry Barton of St. Joseph’s regarding housing on the St. Joseph’s parking lot on Castro. The parking lot and rectory are mostly unused and St. Joseph’s needs funds for a seismic retrofit. They have no plans for any development in the short term, but they are planning now so they can influence the downtown precise plan. They are looking into low-income housing, 20-40 units.
  • The City requires retail on Castro and parking to accommodate housing. This would require an underground lot, which is very expensive. City approval would be necessary for higher density and fewer parking spaces than current requirement.
  • A discussion of low income housing in the downtown followed. Julie believes the city has no policy regarding relaxation of parking for below market rate housing.
  • Monica to contact Al Sabay (City Planner) for more information.

7. California/Bryant Parking Structure

  • Ronit and Julie attended a Council study session regarding the proposed parking structure behind the Clock Tower Building at California and Bryant. There are several differing views on the Council on how this space should be used. Options are small grocery, small retail on ground level/parking above and “pedestrian friendly” parking structure. Council breakdown is: Kasperzak and Zoglin for retail/grocery, Perry for parking, Stasek and Galioto concerned about delivery truck issues connected to grocery and Pear against the city encouraging retail.
  • OMVNA agreed that grocery is vastly preferable to specialized user-friendly parking. Because the next newsletter is scheduled to be published after the next City Council planning meeting (1/13) we need to reach out to the community in an alternative way.
  • It was decided to create a petition to be circulated throughout the neighborhood in support of a grocery store. Ronit and Erin formed a subcommittee to draft a petition, which will be forwarded to OMVNA members. It is hoped that this will show neighborhood support to the Council and encourage new faces to appear at the 1/13 Council meeting.

8. Welcome Baskets

  • Erin created a welcome package of neighborhood information from Chamber of Commerce information. Other additional sources were suggested.
  • City has no list of houses sold. Erin will contact Chuck, Tori, and Nancy (local realtors) for additional information regarding sales.
  • Possibility of targeting local retailers for welcome coupons
  • Possibility of local residents interested in distributing baskets.

Meeting adjourned at 9:30

Respectfully Submitted,
Claire Silver, Secretary

Back to top of page


The OMVNA Newsletter is published by a volunteer editorial committee & distributed to some 2400 homes and businesses by volunteers.
To get in touch with us:

The opinions printed in this newsletter are not necessarily those of the OMVNA Steering Committee.

Back to top of page


This site provided as a public service by meer.net

Last updated: 5/4/04