Home

About OMVNA

Emergency Preparedness

Newsletter

OMVNAtalk E-mail list

Coming Events

Meeting Minutes

Steering Committee

Links

Advertisers

Old Mountain View Neighborhood Association

Monthly Meeting Minutes for 2001


OMVNA Monthly Meeting Minutes

January 22, 2001

Officers Attending:
Chair - Jean McCloskey
Vice Chair - Alison Hicks
Secretary - Tim Johnson
Treasurer - Aaron L. Grossman
Newsletter Editor - Bruce Karney
Community Liaison - Julie Lovins

Officers Absent:
At Large #1 - Garth Williams
At Large #2 - Philippe Habib

Minutes:
1) Minutes: The November and December 2000 minutes were reviewed and approved.

2) Newsletter planning. Bruce reported that has met with Lisa Windes regarding articles for the "History Corner" section of the newsletter. Nancy Stuhr will increase her newsletter ad to a 1/2 page. The publication date for the next newsletter is Thursday, March 8.

3) ND zoning subcommittee report. An H zoning was recently approved by City Council. Approval of the zoning initiative was facilitated by the simple language and a large percentage of neighborhood support. Jean will contact the neighborhood group which organized the H zoning initiative, asking them about the process used and if there was a permit charge imposed by the City. Julie will conduct a pilot survey of the OMVNA sponsored ND zoning initiative.

4) March 31 OMVNA general meeting.
a) Bruce will take responsible for:
i) Selecting houses for the tour and notifying the occupants.
ii) Coordinating with Mr. Weigle on the details of holding the business portion of the meeting on his property.
iii) Writing copy for the March 8 newsletter.
iv) Inviting a tour guide, possibly someone from the Historical Society.
b) Tim will obtain refreshments.
c) It was suggested that donations be requested at the meeting to help support the costs associated with the ND zoning initiative.
d) A baby-sitting service will no longer be provided for the event.

5) OMVNA-CERT Report. There's a question on where the OMVNA-CERT web page should be hosted. Also, there was discussion on a need to get more people involved in the CERT effort. Strategies discussed for accomplishing this included use of personal contacts and periodic articles in the newsletter. Tim will periodically meet and coordinate OMVNA-CERT's activities with Lynn Brown, the new OES Coordinator for the Fire Department. Tim will contact Councilmember Stasek regarding obtaining an OMVNA residents lists.

6) Officers' reports.
a) Treasurer: OMVNA currently has a treasury balance of $2,190.
b) Community Liaison:
i) OMVNA voted to support the low-cost housing being considered by City Council, particularly at the proposed site in the downtown area. Bruce will draft an OMVNA position on this matter.
ii) OMVNA elected Julie to present OMVNA's position at the upcoming City Council Public Hearing on site selection on Feb 13 meeting.
c) General comments:
i) It was reported that the City is considering building a cross-town trail using the Hetch-Hetchy right-of-way. Using the Hetch-Hetchy right-of-way to build the trail takes advantage of a pre-existing open space and minimizes the need to cross of busy streets.
ii) The date for the City-sponsored dedication ceremony for Mercy-Bush Park has not been set.


OMVNA Monthly Meeting Minutes

February 12, 2001

Officers Attending:
Chair - Jean McCloskey
Vice Chair - Alison Hicks
Secretary - Tim Johnson
Treasurer - Aaron L. Grossman
Newsletter Editor - Bruce Karney
Community Liaison - Julie Lovins
At Large #2 - Philippe Habib

Officers Absent:
At Large #1 - Garth Williams

Guest member:
Julie Wrobel, Calderon Avenue

Minutes:
1) Minutes: The January 2001 Steering Committee minutes were reviewed and approved.

2) Efficiency Studios: Julie proposed revising her message on behalf of OMVNA to the City Council, emphasizing the need for a quick decision (i.e. no further delays) and endorsing the downtown site for the proposed new Mountain View efficiency studios.

3) ND zoning project. Speaking generally, Jean suggested that OMVNA investigate various ways of partnering with the City to accomplish OMVNA's neighborhood preservation objectives. Regarding OMVNA's current ND zoning initiative, Jean reported on a discussion with a representative from a 75-home neighborhood, who was recently successfully in getting a height-restriction zoning initiative approved by City Council. The representative reported that it was a lot of work, taking over a year to accomplish. The $1,800 application fee was paid by neighbors on a voluntary basis.

There was general discussion on what elements uniquely characterize the Old Mountain View neighborhood. Concern was expressed that the number of characteristics should not be so numerous as to make it difficult to gain a neighborhood consensus..

It was suggested that compliance might involve some subset of the total number of identified characteristics, or that a possible weighting scheme might be developed which assigns different values to the individual characteristics.

Julie volunteered to produce a tally sheet that includes all the proposed characteristics. The tally sheet will be used to survey a specific set of homes in the heart of Old Mountain View to determine how these homes match up against such characteristics. Responsibilities for conducting the survey were assigned. The results will be tabulated and presented at the next OMVNA steering committee.

4) March 31 OMVNA general meeting. Bruce reported that planning for the event is on track.

5) Middlefield-Ellis-Whisman. It was reported that some of the M-E-W residents have concerns about the remediation techniques being used on a toxic site within their neighborhood.

6) Home Depot. There is general consensus of the OMVNA steering committee that a "big box" retail outlet is not appropriate for the property located at the intersection of El Camino and Hyw 85. Jean volunteered to draft a position statement for OMVNA and communicate it to the City Council.

7) Treasurer's report. Aaron reported that there is $3,855 in the OMVNA treasury.


OMVNA Monthly Meeting Minutes

March 12, 2001

Officers Attending:
Chair - Jean McCloskey
Vice Chair - Alison Hicks
Secretary - Tim Johnson
Treasurer - Aaron L. Grossman
Community Liaison - Julie Lovins
At Large #2 - Philippe Habib

Officers Absent:
Newsletter Editor - Bruce Karney
At Large #1 - Garth Williams

Guest members:
Julie Wrobel, Calderon Avenue
David Andrzejek, Villa Street

Minutes:
1) Minutes. The February 2001 steering committee minutes were approved with revisions.

2) Mercy Bush Park Update. It was reported that the raised grassy berm, which some of us thought had been part of the original park design, has been eliminated by the City.

3) Park Dedication and OMVNA General Meeting. Jean reported that planning is moving forward for the various activities associated with the park dedication. At the event, Jean will recognize those who were involved in the initial park neighborhood co-design process, as well as other individuals who played a key role in getting the park developed, such as past OMVNA chair Russ Parman and City Manager Kevin Duggan.

4) ND zoning update. Julie presented the preliminary results of a survey of proposed common building characteristics of a 6-square block area in the heart of the Old Mountain View neighborhood. A number of these proposed characteristics proved to be overwhelmingly representative of the residences in the survey area, including single-family homes, covered porches at main entrances, single-width driveways, and garages set back from the front of the house. Based on what was learned, Aaron and Julie will revise the survey.

5) Tishman Speyer Proposal. Julie reported that Tishman Speyer, the developer of the new 6-story building currently under construction at the intersection on California Street between Castro and Bryant, has proposed to the City to develop the properties on the other three corners at the intersection of Bryant and California Streets. Tishman Speyer has proposed an office building with retail on the first floor, high-end condominiums and underground parking, some of which would be available for public parking. If approved, the project would eliminate the need for a public parking structure, which is currently under consideration.

The OMVNA steering committee nominated Julie to draft a position statement for OMVNA stating that if the City approves the newest Tishman Speyer proposal, a reasonable percent of the construction should be for affordable housing, and that retail be included in the plan, such as a drug store or grocery store, which are a priority for the neighborhood.

6) Newsletter. Articles for the upcoming newsletter were discussed.

7) OMVNA CERT update. Aaron and Tim reported on a CERT training session they recently attended that was sponsored by the Monte Loma Neighborhood CERT. Aaron has submitted a new grant request on behalf of OMVNA. The request is for $3,928, which will be used to purchase a CERT equipment storage trailer. Information was provided on an upcoming City-sponsored CERT training, which Aaron will attend. OMVNA officers and others in the neighborhood were encouraged to get involved in CERT in at least some capacity. CERT-function leaders still need to be recruited in areas of: first aid, communications, damage assessment, search and rescue, safety and security and logistics.

8) Treasurer's report. Aaron reported that there is $3,855 in the OMVNA treasury.

9) OMVNA Website update. The steering committee members discussed OMVNA's relationship with its advertisers. Agreement was reached that OMVNA shall avoid explicit or implicit endorsements of its advertisers, and that advertisements in the newsletter should be handled as a straight-forward business deal, and avoid any implied OMVNA endorsements or testimonials. Copy on OMVNA's website related to advertising in the newsletter should simply convey information about how to advertise in the newsletter and why it was such a good deal, and nothing more.

10) The meeting was adjourned at 9:30 p.m.

Respectfully submitted by Tim Johnson, secretary


OMVNA Monthly Meeting Minutes

April 9, 2001

Officers Attending:
Chair - Jean McCloskey
Vice Chair - Alison Hicks
Secretary - Tim Johnson
Treasurer - Aaron Grossman
Newsletter Editor - Bruce Karney
Community Liaison - Julie Lovins
At Large #1 - Garth Williams
At Large #2 - Philippe Habib

Visitors:
Srija Srinivasan, Peninsula Community Foundation program officer
Bonnie Miller, Peninsula Community Foundation board member

Minutes:
1) Minutes.
The March '01 OMVNA Steering Committee minutes were approved with corrections.

2) OMVNA-CERT Grant Application. Peninsula Community Foundation (PCF) representatives Srija Srinivasan and Bonnie Miller paid a fact-finding visit to the OMVNA Steering Committee in connection with a recent grant application. OMVNA-CERT is one of 22 groups that have applied for a PCF grant, of which only ten will be funded. If successful, the PCF grant money will be used by OMVNA to purchase a trailer for storage of OMVNA-CERT emergency response equipment and supplies. It is anticipated that the PCF advisory committee will make a final decision on May 4.

3) Announcements. Julie reported on several upcoming meetings: On April 10, the City Council will review a proposed transit plaza at Evelyn and Central. On April 11, there will be a City administrative zoning meeting sometime in the afternoon that considers a liquor license application for an establishment at 340 Castro Street. A Community Development sponsored downtown construction update will take place the evening of April 19.

4) ND Zoning. Aaron presented the results of an analysis of the data collected from the recent ND overlay zone survey. He found that there was a high degree of existing compliance for at least four of the items that were in the survey: 1) front porch, 2) single-width driveway, 3) divided windows and 4) eave heights less than or equal to 15'. Aaron will take another look at the definitions for single-width driveways and garages that are set back from the front of the house. Jean reported on recent meetings with Councilmember Stasek and Mayor Ambra. Councilmember Stasek advised OMVNA that the City Council's decision may not depend solely on strong support of the property owners in the target area. She advised that the proposed overlay zone must also make sense from a land-planning perspective.

After some discussion, the OMVNA Steering Committee members decided to invite 10-12 of the owners living in the target area to a focus group. Bruce volunteered to draft a letter of explanation and a response postcard. Philippe volunteered to reproduce the letters and postcards for distribution and to host the focus group at his home. Garth volunteered to call the Community Development Department and ask if the proposed overlay zone would apply to R-2 and R-3 parcels. Garth will also ask someone who runs focus groups professionally to be the focus group facilitator. May 16 or 17 was proposed as possible dates for the focus group meeting.

5) OMVNA-CERT Update. Tim passed out a draft plan for CERT and asked for feedback.

6) Back-up for OMVNA resources and information. There are a number of OMVNA resources for which there is no back-up. Therefore, Jean asked that such provisions be made. Specifics include: OMVNA web site passwords, detailed information and access to OMVNA-CERT supplies and equipment, information on newsletter distribution and production processes, contact information on newsletter carriers, and a second signature on the OMVNA checking account. She asked Tim to recommend a strategy for handing OMVNA official files and records.

7) Newsletter. Bruce handed out a sample of the upcoming newsletter. He also reported on new newsletter advertisers. Julie asked for help finding additional newsletter carriers.

8) Recruiting Strategy for OMVNA. Alison suggested some ways be developed to get new people involved in OMVNA and willing to fill future steering committee positions. She suggested inviting people who have visited OMVNA steering committee in the past to come back. Bruce mentioned an organization named "AltoView" which operates similarly to Welcome Wagon, providing new residents with information about their community.

9) Steering Committee Operating Principles. In order to make OMVNA Steering Committee meetings run more efficiently, Jean made the following motion: Discussion on previous meetings' minutes be limited to matters of content or clarification (grammar, typos and format questions be handled outside the meeting time); and, all steering committee members take responsibility for keeping discussion focused on the topic under consideration and making comments that are constructive and that move the group discussion forward. The motion was passed unanimously.

10) OMVNA By-Laws Clarification. Jean reminded all Steering Committee members that any email communications coming from OMVNA should come from the chair.

11) March 24 Email to City Council. After discussion concerning the content of a recent email that was sent to City Council on behalf of OMVNA which included positions which had not been officially endorsed by OMVNA, it was decided to send a revision to the email. Jean volunteered to draft an email and distribute to the steering committee.

12) Officers' Reports. Aaron reported that OMVNA has a bank balance of $3,572. Bruce reported that Nick Perry and others living on the north of Shoreline Blvd. are trying to revive SWAN. He believes that OMVNA may be called upon for advice.


OMVNA Monthly Meeting Minutes

May 14, 2001

Officers Attending:
Chair - Jean McCloskey
Vice-Chair - Alison Hicks
Treasurer - Aaron Grossman
Newsletter Editor - Bruce Karney
Community Liaison and Secretary Pro Tem - Julie Lovins

Officers Absent:
Secretary - Tim Johnson
At-Large - Garth Williams
At-Large - Philippe Habib

Visitor:
Julie Wrobel

Minutes:
1) Opening. The meeting was convened at approximately 7:30 p.m.

Agenda additions and approval: The agenda was approved as hereinafter documented.

2) Minutes. There were no minutes presented for approval.

3) Announcements. Neighborhood Grants Program. We discussed grant application possibilities. In the area of association participation recruitment, two ideas were suggested: a fairly large gathering, with food possibly catered, in September or October; or a holiday party featuring lights and decorations for Mercy-Bush Park. Aaron will work on a grant application for support for a gathering. Bruce will work on a grant application related to our forthcoming Neighborhood Design overlay zone application.

4) Planning ND Focus Group (May 17). A subcommittee has been working on this. Bruce summarized the format: focus group 7:00 to 8:30 p.m., then unstructured conversation including any Steering Committee members who want to do this (who will have been in another room). There will be a professional facilitator, who will have looked at our survey responses. As of May 14, 12 people said they want to come, and 11 had been invited (there is limited space). Jean will call people to make sure they're coming and remind them to be on time. There was about a 20% response rate to our postcard survey of six square blocks, generally positive. Bruce summarized some of the post-focus-group activity: the proposed six points will be redrafted, then presented to CDD.

4) Planning for Summer Meeting. This will be our traditional Ice Cream Social. There was a consensus that we should try to have it at Mercy-Bush Park. Jean will look into what we need to do to make this happen. There was also a consensus that we should try to do it June 30, or possibly July 7, depending on availability of Tim and of the park. It will be advertised in the next newsletter, which comes out June 15. More detailed planning will occur at the June meeting.

5) Newsletter Space Planning. Bruce presented prioritized ideas for the June issue and modifications were suggested.

6) Emergency Backup Procedures. All or just about all the required backup information has been accumulated. The CERT backup procedures are to be determined by the CERT team. A motion was made, and passed unanimously, to accept the Treasury plan as described by Aaron.

7) Officers' Reports. Aaron detailed our financial situation. Julie asked for comments/questions on the Downtown Committee report, which had been sent out earlier by email. There were none. Jean said she had been invited by Downtown Committee Staff to solicit from OMVNA any additional suggestions regarding the Mountain View Hotel situation. None were received. Bruce proposed that the July newsletter be rescheduled from July 27 to July 20, and this was approved.


OMVNA Monthly Meeting Minutes

June 11, 2001

Officers Attending:
Chair - Jean McCloskey
Vice-Chair - Alison Hicks
Secretary - Tim Johnson
Treasurer - Aaron Grossman
Newsletter Editor - Bruce Karney
Community Liaison - Julie Lovins

Officers Absent:
At-Large, Garth Williams
At-Large, Philippe Habib

Visitors:
Julie Wrobel
Twana Karney

Minutes:
1) Minutes. April and May minutes were approved.

2) United Neighborhoods Workshop Feedback.
As a requirement of a Community Foundation grant application made by OMVNA-CERT, Jean, Julie W. and Twana represented OMVNA at a United Neighborhoods of Santa Clara workshop. They shared a number of the tips and topics that were presented at the workshop.

Twana also reported that the United Neighborhoods of Santa Clara County is comprised of about 60 neighborhood associations. She provided some printed materials on United Neighborhoods and suggested that OMVNA become a member of the organization.

A motion was made and passed that OMVNA become a member of United Neighborhoods. The annual membership fee is $75.

3) OMVNA-CERT Update. Aaron reported that OMVNA has been awarded a $2,000 grant from the Community Foundation of Silicon Valley. A progress report will be due on Wednesday, June 27. Jean recommended contacting Al Hageman, who can provide advice to OMVNA-CERT on how to get organized and build a CERT team.

4) ND Zoning Focus Group Debriefing. Bruce reported that most of the people in the recent focus group had initially indicated support for an ND zone as a neighborhood preservation strategy. However, at the focus group it was difficult to reach consensus on the specifics of the ND zone. The Steering Committee determined that being successful in getting broad support of an ND zone will requirement involvement of many more people who are advocates for the concept. Given the many obstacles, Jean expressed concern about any realistic possibility for success of ever obtaining neighborhood consensus on any specific ND zoning proposal.

Other neighborhood preservation strategies were considered. Bruce suggested making OMV design guidelines available to those who are considering building or remodeling in the neighborhood. Aaron suggested publishing a small article on a recurring basis in the newsletter, offering to make available a copy of the OMV building guidelines to anyone who is considering building or remodeling in the neighborhood. Tim will make copies of the guidelines of the guidelines and provide them to anyone who requests a copy.

5) Planning for Summer Ice Cream Social (June 30, 2-4 p.m.). Bruce handed out copies of the upcoming newsletter, which features the upcoming event. The following arrangements were made:

Setup - will begin at 1:50 p.m.
Ice Cream -Tim will make 2-1/2 gallons; Tim will ask Russ to make 1 gallon; Aaron will make a 1/2 gallon.
Tables -Aaron, Bruce and Julie will provide tables.
Ice chests and ice - Tim, Bruce, Alison will provide ice. Aaron will investigate a source for dry ice.
Umbrella and stand - Tim will bring one.
Ice Cream Scopes - Tim, Bruce, Aaron, Julie W. will bring one.
Bowls, Spoons and Napkins - Aaron will provide.
Trashcan and extra bags - Aaron will provide.
Copies of Preservation Plan - Tim will bring.
Name Tags and Sign-in Sheet - Tim will bring.
Energy-related Information and Stand - Julie will furnish.

Tim and Aaron will wear something conspicuous associated to CERT and come prepared to talk about OMVNA-CERT and try to recruit potential members.

6) Newsletter Space Planning. Bruce presented prioritized ideas for the June issue. Modifications were suggested.

7) Neighborhood Peeping-Tom Issue. It was reported that there has been a Peeping Tom on Oak Street. Recently, he has been seen in other areas in Old Mountain View. Jean will write an article for the upcoming newsletter, alerting the neighborhood of the problem and what to do if they see any such activity.

8) Officer Reports.
Aaron provided a Treasurer's report - OMVNA's account has a $3654.83 balance.
Julie reported that there is a City Council meeting tomorrow night.
Tim recommended that a Nominating Committee be appointed. Subsequently, Ronit (chair), Jean and Aaron were appointed to the Committee.

9) Review of Steering Committee Meeting Effectiveness Strategies.
Recommendations were make as follows:
* Action items should be distributed within a few days of the meeting.
* General support was expressed for the new timed agenda.
* Allowances should be made to the timed agenda to accommodate visitors who wish to address the Steering Committee.
* The need for a balance between sticking to the timed agenda and letting everyone contribute to the discussion.


OMVNA Monthly Meeting Minutes

July 9, 2001

Officers Attending:
Chair - Jean McCloskey
Secretary - Tim Johnson
Treasurer - Aaron Grossman
Newsletter Editor - Bruce Karney
Community Liaison - Julie Lovins

Officers Absent:
Vice-Chair, Alison Hicks
At-Large, Garth Williams
At-Large, Philippe Habib

Minutes:

1) Minutes. June minutes were approved with exception of Item #4, which was modified to include sending copies of the OMVN design guidelines to local architects and contractors.

2) Announcements. None.

3) Old Business.

a. CERT Report. Tim provided a brief report on the organizing activities of the OMVNA-CERT subcommittee. Aaron provided an update on the status of the grants that will be used to acquire and equip the OMVNA-CERT trailer. He expects that we will get the trailer by the end of September. He will check on the DMV regarding licensing of the trailer, and look into obtaining a special "OMVNA" license plate.

b. Update on Grants from City. The outcome of applications for City neighborhood grants were discussed. Both grants submitted by OMVNA were accepted, one for a potluck at Mercy-Bush Park to draw out new potential leaders and steering committee members, and the other to purchase audio equipment and a canopy for use at OMVNA neighborhood functions.

4) New Business

a. 501 (c) 3 status. Now that OMVNA is receiving grant money, Bruce suggested that OMVNA should consider becoming a legal organization. He suggested that this may open up additional funding opportunities for OMVNA. Aaron offered to ask PCF for their perspective on OMVNA's legal responsibilities and some of the organizing structures that OMVNA might consider.

b. Ad rates. Bruce proposed raising the rates for single ad inserts. A motion was made and passed.

c. Jean reported that she received an email from an Old Mountain View resident asking whether there are height limitations on their streets. After some discussion, it was decided that Mountain View's Community Development Department should be able to answer the question. Jean will respond accordingly.

d. Chamber membership. After discussion, it was decided that OMVNA will join the Chamber of Commerce for $100 per year. It was noted that Chamber of Commerce membership would provide OMVNA with free use of the boardroom for its steering committee meetings, along with other benefits.

e. New steering committee members. Aaron suggesting creating a means of bringing in new people as officers during the year

5) Officer Reports

a. Treasurer report. OMVNA received $31 in contributions at the ice cream social. The event costs $45.90. The current OMVNA checking account balance is $5,371, including $2,000 that is being held from a grant to pay for a new OMVNA-CERT trailer.

b. Brainstorming on Pot Luck. After discussion, it was decided that the City-funded Pot Luck will serve as the Fall OMVNA General Meeting, tentatively set for Sunday, October 14, noon to 2 p.m. Aaron recommended using $800 of the recently received City grant to purchase BBQ ribs as a main entrée from one of the local BBQ restaurants and asking the neighbors to bring side dishes. Tim will check on availability of the Landels Multi-Use Room. The new principal at Landels will be invited to attend.


 

OMVNA Monthly Meeting Minutes

August 13, 2001

Officers Attending:
Chair - Jean McCloskey
Secretary - Tim Johnson
Community Liaison - Julie Lovins
At-Large, Philippe Habib

Officers Absent:
Vice-Chair, Alison Hicks
Treasurer - Aaron Grossman
Newsletter Editor - Bruce Karney
At-Large, Garth Williams

Guests:
Joan Crownover, Houghton Street
Mark Gerrior, Mercy Street
Sally Lieber, Council member and resident of Sierra Street
Julie Wrobel, Calderon Avenue

Minutes:
1) Minutes. July minutes were reviewed and approved (with corrections).

2) Introductions and Announcements.
a. Noise problem. Joan Crownover described a recurring noise problem associated with activities at the SFV Lodge, particularly on Saturday nights. She reviewed the steps she has taken to address the problem with the City and asked OMVNA for advice and assistance. OMVNA agreed to determine an appropriate contact at the SFV Lodge and to look into relevant City policies and procedures for dealing with noise and for providing dance permits.

3) Old Business.
a. Status of Susan Moore concerns about downtown construction. Jean reported that she contacted the city to express support for resolving Susan's complaints.

b. Two-year terms of office. Jean proposed changing the By-laws, increasing steering committee terms of office from one year to two years. The procedures for making changes to the By-laws were reviewed. It was decided that any such proposed changes to the By-laws will need to be brought before the OVMVA membership at the October General Meeting, with a call for a vote at the next General Meeting. Tim will write an article for the next newsletter that outlines the proposed changes.

c. CERT Report. Tim (and Aaron via email) provided a brief update on the organizing activities of the OMVNA-CERT subcommittee. His report included the following items:

i.                 The trailer has been ordered from Orlandi Trailer of San Jose. It will be located behind Landels School, and will be delivered in early September. It is a Pace American, model CS614SA Custom Series, white, 6' wide, 14' long, and 7' high, single axle, with side and tail doors and extra vents. It weighs 1,400 lbs. with a 3,000 maximum capacity and a 2" hitch ball. Total cost of the trailer is $3,935, all of which will be covered by grant money. Security locks, shelves and containers will cost extra. DMV registration is included, but had to be written in someone's name. Aaron took responsibility for this, and has notified the Steering Committee (via email) that he will maintain the trailer registration in his name on behalf of OMVNA as long as OMVNA wishes. He will transfer title to OMVNA itself if the organization gains the ability to take the title, or to whomever, whenever the organization so designates. Since the ball hitch and wheel locks will probably be key locks, access will probably be provided with keys put in a combination key safe mountain somewhere on the trailer itself, similar to the key safes that realtors use to gain entry to houses they show.

ii.               Mountain View School District has officially approved locating the trailer at Landels school.

iii.             The Blackberry React team has been consulted about an OMVNA-CERT communications devices and strategies. It was reported that Chuck Piercey, an OMVNA neighbor, has expressed an interest in being involved in organizing OMVNA-CERT communications. Chuck also expressed an interest in going through the City CERT training class which begins in October.
d. By-laws. Tim reported that he has created a digital version of the OMVNA By-laws. It was decided by the Steering Committee to make a copy available on the OMVNA web site.


4) New Business
a. Re-zoning of City-owned property on Shoreline. Sally Lieber, who is the Council member who brought this initiative to the Council, outlined her reasons for asking the Council and Planning Commission to study the potential rezoning of City-owned property on Shoreline. She reported that she has discussed the proposal with members of SWAN and that they support the proposal. She said that success of the initiative would result in much needed low-cost housing to City employees.

b. Mercury News article featuring Old Mountain View. Jean reported that she was interviewed by a San Jose Mercury News writer for an article profiling Old Mountain View. Tim was also interviewed. (The story ran on the first page of the Real Estate Section on Saturday, August 25, 2001)

c. Report on United Neighborhoods of Santa Clara County workshop. Jean reported on a recent UNSCC workshop that she attended which focused on legal issues related to neighborhood associations. Based on what she learned at the workshop, Jean said it doesn't appear necessary or worthwhile that OMVNA become a chapter 503 legal entity.

5) Officer Reports
a. Treasurer report. Aaron filed a Treasurer's report via email prior to the meeting. He reported that he made a deposit of $1,000 to Orlandi Trailer of San Jose for the CERT equipment trailer which is to be located behind Landels School.

6) Action Items:
a. Tim to follow up on SFV Lodge noise issue.

b. Tim to distribute digital version of OMVNA By-laws and to ask the Webmaster to add them to the OMVNA web site.

c. Tim to draft a copy of proposed By-laws changes for news newsletter.

d. Tim to confirm access to Landels School for OMVNA General Meeting on October 14.

e. Next OMVNA Steering Committee meeting is scheduled for September 10 and will be held at Jean's home - 575 Oak Street.

f. The next newsletter will be distributed on September 13. The copy deadline is September 5.


This site provided as a public service by meer.net

Last updated: 9/12/01